How Does Consignment Work?
What is Consignment?
Consignment refers to the agreement made between you and Dutch Goat Auctions to sell your merchandise at our auction, after which we are paid a percentage of the sale price, and you are paid the balance.
Dutch Goat Auctions earns our percentage (or commission) by providing the following services:
- Storage before the auction
- Cleaning/polishing/minor repair if required.
- Creation and cataloging of each lot (a “lot” is one item or a group of items sold as one unit)
- Photographing of each lot and creation of a professional presentation and digital catalogs
- Advance auction marketing, as needed, in print ads, social media, via direct email notices, and on our website.
- Setup of Preview display
- Informing prospective buyers about your merchandise during the preview
- Auctioning of each lot to absentee bidders, phone bidders, and Internet bidders
- State-of-the-art integrated clerking and invoicing system for tracking your sold items.
- A complete printout of consigned items, with a lot-by-lot breakdown of commission earned and balance due to you, sent with your check 14 days from the date of the auction.
What is the cost to consign items to Dutch Goat Auctions?
For most items, we charge $5 per listing and 20% of what the items sell for. This money is deducted from the sale of the item. We do our best to identify items that would not sell well on our auction but if the item goes for less than $5 than Dutch Goat would keep 100% of the sale price of the item. Our consignment fee is capped at $175 per item and lower consignment fees are charged for the following categories:
· Real Estate
Can I SEND YOU MY LIST OF ITEMS before bringing them into the store?
We are working on a form that allows you to submit your items with pictures and descriptions but currently, you can send us an email with photos of your items to CS@dutchgoat.com if you have questions.
CAN YOU COME TO PICK UP MY ITEMS FOR AUCTION?
Currently, we do not offer a pick-up service. We are working with contracting a local pick-up (trucking) service at a reasonable hourly rate for items that are too large for you to transport to one of our locations. For estates with many things to be auctioned, we can hold an onsite auction. Any trucking charges incurred will not be charged upfront; they will be deducted from your consignment check after your items have been sold.
WHAT TYPE OF ITEMS DO BEST AT AUCTION?
Dutch Goat Auctions has experience with many kinds of personal property, vehicles, and real estate. To give you some idea of what estate merchandise sells best at our auctions, we have compiled the following summaries of categories that sell best.
- Furniture & Decor
- Coins & Currency
- Rugs & Textiles
- Silver & Jewelry
- Toys & Memorabilia
- Historical Artifacts
- Tools & Equipment
- Vehicles (Handled through a 3rd party licensed auto dealer)
- Real Estate (Handled through a 3rd party licensed real estate broker)
If you would like us to contact you to discuss consigning your items, please fill out the following form: